Pentaho 5.1 delivers code-free analytics directly on MongoDB, simplifies data preparation for data scientists and adds full YARN support. See the full list of Pentaho Business Analytics 5.1 features and technical specifications.
Here are some more details about the new PDI 5.1 release:
Native (YARN) Hadoop integration
PDI includes support for YARN capabilities including enhanced scalability, compatibility with MapReduce, improved cluster use, and greater support for agile development processes. YARN also provides support for non-MapReduce workloads.
YARN for Carte Kettle Clusters
The Start a YARN Kettle Cluster and Stop a YARN Kettle Cluster entries make it possible to to execute carte transforms in parallel using YARN. Carte clusters are implemented using the resources and data nodes of a Hadoop cluster, which optimizes resources and speeds processing.
Cloudera, Hortonworks, and MapR Hadoop Distribution Support
Use Pentaho’s innovative Big Data Adaptive Layer to connect to more Hadoop Distributions, including Cloudera 5, Hortonworks 2.1, and MapR 3.1. These certified and tested YARN-based distributions allow you to use PDI to build scalable solutions that are optimized for performance. Pentaho supports over 20 different Hadoop Distribution versions from vendors such as Apache, Hortonworks, Intel, and MapR. Pentaho also supports Cloudera distributions and is a certified Cloudera partner.
Data Science Pack with Weka and R
The R Script Executor, Weka Forecasting, and Weka Scoring steps form the core of the Data Science Pack and transforms PDI into a powerful, predictive analytics tool. The R Script Executor step, which is new for 5.1, lets you include R scripts in your transformations and jobs. You can customize random seed sampling, limit the batch and reservoir size, adjust logging level messages, and more. You can also choose to load the script from a file at runtime, enabling you to have more flexibility in transformation design.
PDI security has been enhanced to include support for more standard security protocols and specifications.
- AES Password Support: Use Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) to encrypt passwords for databases, slave servers, web service connections, and more. AES uses a symmetric key algorithm to secure your data.
- New Execute Permission: You can now choose whether to grant permission to execute transformations and jobs by user role. This provides more finely-tuned access controls for different groups and can be useful for auditing, deployment, or quality assurance purposes.
- Kerberos Security Support for Hadoop & MongoDB: If you are already using Kerberos to authenticate access a data source, with a little extra configuration, you can also use Kerberos to authenticate DI users who need to access your data.
Teradata and Vertica Bulkloaders
There are two new bulkloaders steps: Teradata TPT Bulkloader and Vertica Bulkloader. Also, newer versions of Teradata and Vertica are now supported.
New Marketplace Plugins
Pentaho Marketplace continues to grow with many more of your contributions. As a testimonial to the power of community, Pentaho Marketplace is a home for your plugins and a place where you can contribute, learn, benefit from, and connect to others. New contributions include:
- Riak Consumer and Producer: Links with Maven to provide dependency management.
- Load Text From File: Uses Apache Tika to extract text from files in many different formats, such as PDF and XLS.
- Top / Bottom / First / Last filter: Filters rows based on a field’s values or row numbers.
- Map (key/value pair) type: Provides a ValueMeta plugin for key/value pairs that are backed by a java.util.Map.
- PDI Tableau Data Extract Output: Use Pentaho’s ETL capabilities to generate a Tableau Data Extract (tde) file.
- PDI NuoDB: Provides a PDI database dialect for the NuoDB NewSQL database that works in the cloud.
- Neo4j JDBC Connector: Provides a PDI database dialect for the Neo4j graph database.
- HTML to XML: Uses JTidy to convert HTML into XML or XHTML.
- Apache Kafka Consumer and Producer: Reads and sends binary messages to and from Apache Kafka message queues.
- LegStar z/OS File Reader: Reads raw z/OS records from a file and transforms them to PDI rows.
- Compare Fields: Compares 2 sets of fields in a row and directs it to the appropriate destination step based on the result. This step detects identical, changed, added, and removed rows.
There are many more new plugins such as IC AMQP, IC Bloom filter, JaRE (Java Rule Engine), JDBC Metadata, Memcached Input/Output, Google Spreadsheet Input/Output, and Sentiment Analysis.
… and it’s getting more and more, check out the latest contributions (within the Data Integration design interface Spoon / Help / Marketplace).
And last but not least: We have a great new documentation system, check out our documentation around New Features in Pentaho Data Integration 5.1
Test 5.1 and download the Cummunity Edition (with limited functionality, no support etc. but eventually free beer) or start with our evaluation Enterprise Edition.